"Montez has not been able to conform to some conditions and stipulations that were placed on him as a result of previous off-field issues," head coach Mark Richt said in the release. "I think this decision is in the best interest of everyone."
Robinson, 20, turned himself in on a warrant issued Saturday and was booked at 12:40 p.m. Sunday, marking his third run-in with the law since October.
Robinson was previously arrested on simple battery charges stemming from an incident on Oct. 20, then again for second-degree criminal damage after police said he broke taillights on a female Georgia student's car in November.
The previous incidents kept Robinson out of Georgia's bowl game against Texas A&M and earned him a two-game suspension to start the 2010 season by head coach Mark Richt. Along with the suspension, Robinson was to be attending anger management courses.
Richt said he hoped Robinson would continue his education at another institution.
Last week, a police report surfaced in which three students claimed they had been harassed and threatened by four black men in a cab, and that one of the victims believed assailants were football players. While that investigation remains ongoing, Georgia assistant sports communications director Leland Barrow said the charges against Robinson are not related to the taxi incident.
Robinson, a rising sophomore, played sparingly last season but was considered one of Georgia's top three outside linebackers this season – a position without significant depth. He finished his freshman season as a member of the freshman All-SEC team at defensive end, but had just five tackles – 2.5 for a loss – for the year.
With Robinson's dismissal, new defensive coordinator Todd Grantham will have to finish the spring with just two scholarship outside linebackers – Justin Houston and Cornelius Washington. Walk-on Rueben Faloughi would be the next player on the depth chart at the position.